September 29, 2008

a floundering foodie

The crook of my right arm still ached from the weight of the papaya and it was the smaller of the two we choose from at the open-air market in the center of Sorata. I had never seen a papaya in whole before--only in dried strips or juicy chunks so it was somewhat of a revelation to have the oblong, spotty fruit cradled in my arm as I walked down the tiered steps and dusty road to the program house. It was equally exciting to slice the large fruit and see a cavernous center lined with black seeds as the two halfs fell onto the cutting board and rocked perilously before coming to stillness.

The papaya was just one of the many elements of the group snack Jessi and I had dreamed up. It went into the roomy bowl with a plethora of banana slices and was set beside peach and strawberry yogurt for the hungry mouths of the now 17 that make up our dragons group. I found myself inexplicibly sunny and optimistic about the day...gradually thinking back on the relatively little I had done that morning I could only point to making food. I had awoke at 6:15 feeling mildly resentful of the early start as I splashed cold water from the outdoor spigget on my slack, dirty face. Yes, I was quite sure, our early morning venture to the market and the preparation (and eager consumption) of our mid morning snack was the source of my glee. I had been reminded yet again of just how closely my mood is tied to the food I eat.

For better or for worse I am a foodie, born and bred. I am a foodie in my house scrounging for the fixings of a gourmet breakfast. I am a foodie in the bustling streets of New York seeking out the little whole in the wall cafe that will give me the taste sensation I am craving. I am a foodie in my dorm room, hoarding pricy snacks from the nearest neighborhood grocery store. And yes, I am a foodie in Sorata--in my homestay house and on the plaza, in the panaria and at the market.

But all the passion I have for food isn´t just about eating, it is about the relationships forged through giving away a choice apple or a bowl of hot soup, it is about the conversations you happen upon cooking side by side, it is about the shared pleasure of eating a good meal together. So, all that is to say that I am curious about the culture of food more or less for my own investment in it. It is one of the first ways of entering into another culture and is a powerful vehicle for gratitude, curiosity and connection. I want to understand my own relationship to food and what better way is there than to observe closely and partake in another culture´s approach.

Finally, after some epic indecision I had arrived at a topic, a focus. I would dive into my food....figuratively. I would see how the Aymara people put their land to use, how the food trade functions, how nutrition is impacted, how the cooking methods play in and on top of all that, how it has changed with the times how it has been shifted by more and more contact with foreign nations and food cultures. And, to be honest, it does give me a phenomenal opportunity to eat my heart out (and yes, my heart is connected to my stomach). What could top that?

No comments:

Post a Comment