January 15, 2009

World Traveler or Tourist?

Tourism....what to do. When I arrived in Europe I was buzzing with excitement, felt I was in for an adventure...I felt like perhaps I would unlock the clue to all the romanticism that surrounds Europe in the ole US of A. I feel odd not jumping up to do touristy things but there is also merit in just spending time with our hosts.

1/12/09: We talked today while on our way to St. Paul's cathedral about the dilemma of how one is to be a world traveler instead of a tourist. After Dragons it is hard to find value in tourism and the activities related to it but, as Emma pointed out, it's hard to avoid tourism when we are seeing not doing. But, then again, it is hard to draw a distinct line between the two—walking, attending performances and films, eating, visiting museums—are those not experienced in a deeper way than merely sight. Does it not depend on our approach? If you assume it is no different from home, you won't see it but if you seek out the quirks, talk with someone who is better acquainted with it,read about it's origins it will gain the richness of context, the depth of background.


1/15/09: Too much adventure, the all day travel day. We sat in the luggage locker room for shelter and warmth. It was not pleasant, nor comfortable nor relaxed--we were on edge, uncomfortable and cold, wary of our surroundings and could not let down our guard even though our eyes drooped and our bodies demanded rest. We got through 3 sleepy train rides, mixing with morning rush-hour on the last...like a pin-ball, swimming upstream. Both Emma and I felt a bit out of sorts after such a long, stressful, and demanding travel day filled with the sense of being vulnerable and needing to be proactive and clever to avoid a bad situation. Is this what non-tourism entails?

No comments:

Post a Comment